I have been really good for the past six to eight months - I haven't been doing "work" from work on Sundays. I was convicted during a summer conference that I needed to keep the Sabath holy and that meant not jumping on my laptop on Sunday evenings to get ready for another crazy week at work. And I have really enjoyed giving myself this permission and it's been a huge blessing in so many ways to know I'm not a machine and have to work seven days a week.
As I said...I was doing really good until tonight.
But, you see, I wanted to get away from everyone and lock myself up in our attic and plug away at mindless stuff. I've been around people so much the past ten days I just really needed some time away from people wanting my attention. I know that sounds awful, but I just really needed to recharge and just not feel like I needed to be "on." This even means escaping my hubby and kids. Believe it or not, I'm introverted. This doesn't mean I'm a social idiot...it just means that when I'm around people for long periods of time it's incredibly draining for me.
I know I could have picked up a book and read instead of doing work, but my attic "retreat" is not really conducive for leisure reading. It's set up for writing and working and it's the best place in the house to escape. So, I didn't do work because I really needed to catch up (although I do) at work. I did work because it was really the only activity I could do up in the attic that would be mindless and allow me to escape the rest of the house.
So...anyone buying my story? I'm sold!
2 comments:
I feel you on this. I am an extroverted introvert. I can certainly socialize with the best of them but then I need time to myself. I actually prefer to be alone. Funny since my life doesn't allow for that AT ALL. Its probably best that I don't have a half way decent excuse to hide away. I guess my life has just taught me to hang in with my peeps and REALLY enjoy the quiet...since it comes so rarely:)
I get what you're saying. There are definitely places in your house that are more conducive to different activities so I often find myself slipping into the normal, unplanned junk against my intentions! Pick back up on your Sabbath sabbatical this week! You won't regret it!
Post a Comment