I'm a little late getting this posted, but better late than never. On January 1st I became a "polar bear." For those of you not familiar with this term it means I was one of those insane people who jumped into the frozen, icy waters of Lake Michigan.
Now...I didn't do it for "fun" like some crazy people in Sheboygan. I did it because I was asked by our church youth group. They were doing a fundraiser and needed people that would jump into the lake if a certain amount of money was raised. My husband was at the $800 level. I was at the $900. They ended up raising $1,600.
So, myself and several others from our church braved the cold. It was 25 degrees outside, but the windchill was hovering around zero degrees. Brrrr... And the lake was so choppy...it was crazy!
You can watch a video from the Sheboygan Press below. During the last few seconds you can see me running out (proof I did this). I'm wearing a red T-shirt and black shorts.
(You can actually hear people yelling "It's not cold enough!" WHAT????
I made the mistake of wearing Teva-like sandles into the water; I thought that would be better than wearing tennis shoes that would be squishy and wet afterwards. WRONG STRATEGY!!! The air hit my feet afterwards and water started freezing to my feet as I made my way through the crowd to find my mom who had a warm blanket waiting for me. It took about 10 minutes to finally feel like I had blood flow back to my feet.
Will I do it again? Maybe...put I'm holding out for someone to raise $1000 just for me alone! I'm worth more than $100 don't you think?
1 comment:
I have full goose bumps just watching that. I am all about new and exciting experiences but I HATE to be cold and that is really extreme!
Good for you for doing it and for a good cause. You are one brave woman!
Post a Comment