Usually Adam does the grocery shopping during the week when I'm working. For some reason he didn't get around to doing it so I decided that I would plan the meals and go shopping last night. We have quite a few items in our pantry that I'd like to use up AND we will be fed dinner four nights this week at Wize 'n Up (our church's big children's outreach event.) So, I decided to plan the meals so we use up what's in the pantry and plan enough meals until August 12th...using only $40.
I almost did it. I went to Aldi. Bought everything and then added it up. Came to $42...decided to put back potato chips I really didn't "need" and ranch dressing. Whew...now around $39.72. So I thought.
Well...I neglected to read the 3pt font on the sign for the bananas that said they were 33 cents a pound. I was horrified that the price rang up over $40 dollars. Well...I then decided to put back a box of cake mix. Utterly embarrasing - thank goodness no one was behind me in line.
However, it was a very good exercise in really paying attention to what I'm spending and how using "cash" instead of a debit card really does keep you on budget. Next week I'm going to try "The Grocery Game." My friend Mary showed me how it works and she saves a bundle.
No comments:
Post a Comment