Thursday, August 21, 2008

Airport Reunions

I flew to Salt Lake City today for an event my company is hosting tonight. When I was coming out by baggage claim there was a young man who received a joyous reunion with his family. When I first heard the outburst I assumed he was a soldier returning from abroad, but he was dressed in a suit.

His family was so excited to see him - I mean tears were running down their faces. I was trying to choke back tears just watching this all play out in front of me (while trying to avoid being in the background of the pictures.) As I went around them one of the women who had just hugged him had to be consoled by another relative - she was weeping that hard.

It made me think of the story in Luke 15:32 - "But we had to celebrate and be glad, because this brother of yours was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.' " Wouldn't it be great if we always got warm receptions like the one I saw today and the one this father gave for his son?

Do you remember before 9/11 how you could sit at the airport gate and just see so many amazing reunions? Now with cell phone lots those reunions end up happening on the curbside. I miss people watching at the airport and wondering...what's their story?

No comments: